Friday, March 4, 2011

Earthquakes

Earthquakes fucking suck.

A few days after an angry and unpredictable earth killed more than 200 citizens of Christchurch, I was walking home from the gym, through the snow.

I thought how weird it will be next time I'm home, with so many landmarks gone and the psyche of my beloved hometown scarred by loss. A phrase dawned on me: "my city's in ruins". Poetic, huh?

Moments later I realized that like so many things in life, Brucey had already been there. He wrote this song about efforts to turn around the fortunes of Asbury Park, NJ, a town that inspired his early work. He then re-purposed it for the 9/11 tribute concert. And now I'm borrowing it for Christchurch.

Rise up, Christchurch.

1 comment:

  1. This is SO spooky! This song was playing on a non earthquake coverage radio station the first time I went out after the quake.

    ReplyDelete