Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Christchurch Summer Weather

Recently, I was in an airport in China, waiting on a plane to take me to New Zealand. I struck up a conversation with a young lady from Ashburton. We’d both been in Asia for a while. She missed New Zealand but was amazed that I didn’t and suggested I think about the “good, old Christchurch summer.” Well, Miss Ashburton, what part of the Christchurch summer would you like me to think about? The fact that it is only ever hot when it is blowing an uncomfortable gale from the north-west (followed by rain once the heat leads to precipitation)? The fact that Brighton Beach is always fifteen degrees colder than the rest of the city so you cannot escape the heat in any sort of comfort? Perhaps it’s option three, the lethal Canterbury pollen count we’re disproportionately allergic to? Do you see what I’m getting at? The Christchurch summer sucks!

1 comment:

  1. Today:
    Temperature - 31 degrees check
    Wind - strong gusty north-westerlies check
    Southerly due tomorrow check

    ReplyDelete